Sunday, February 11, 2007

Professional Hockey vs. A Concert

I went to a Barenaked Ladies concert a week ago. If you have ever been to a concert, you might have noticed that there is an opening act that nobody pays attention to, even though some of them are pretty good. After the opening act, there was an intermission before the main band came onstage. It was kind of annoying because nobody seemed to have any idea how long the intermission was going to be; everybody seemed to wait, kind of clueless, for what felt like a good half-hour before the main act appeared. While I was waiting there, I was thinking back to professional hockey games that I have watched. Being more of a hockey fan than a music fan, I am used to having something to keep me entertained between periods. At the concert? There was nothing. I was considering what could have been done in that small space. Maybe they could have played a short clip of some of the band’s music videos or something. I was pretty surprised at the huge pause without any sort of entertainment. Are all concerts like that? Of course, when you go to a Canucks game, you had better get something to entertain you; Canucks tickets are five times as expensive as the Barenaked Ladies tickets were!

But aside from that little incident, the concert was very good. The Barenaked Ladies were on stage for about two and half hours and they played a lot of songs. They played songs from their old CDs and their newer CDs. It was nice to hear a little of their earlier stuff and some of their more recent songs.

Kristen Kerr

No comments: