Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Music 2 My Ears

I find it strenuously amazing how musically incline homeless people are. Perhaps it is just them, or maybe you begin to see things and hear things differently when you hit rock bottom. Frankly however, it’s irrelevant.

The other day I found myself heading down to Caprice night club for a splendid evening of drink and dance. However, on my way I couldn’t help but notice the sound of some obscure instrument, enchantingly taping against itself, creating a superb noise, which seemed to melt in my ears, like chocolate does in ones mouth. Swiftly, I halted all of my current motions and forced myself to pay a visit to such the person responsible for the enchanting melody. Like a dog uses its nose, I began to criss-cross up and down streets, through allies, till I found my self on Robson. When I peered around the corner, I saw young gentlemen whom of which reeked of rancid odors which when inhaled presented my tongue with bitter surprise. Vividly I forced myself to conversate with this rustic figure, and a simple hello turned into a verbal battle of “let me borrow some money”. This came as an utter shock to me, as it isn’t often that I am begged and hounded upon for a measly quarter. However, when I refused his arrogant offer, he quickly changed glance, and as if our confrontation had never occurred, he began beating his instrument. Puzzled by his bizarre display of character, I became intrigued as to his actions.

No longer where my friends aggravating me with their cries of tardiness, but I was in hypnosis to how a spoon and a drum, could conduce such magnificent music. It was at this point that a knelt down to the homeless person, and gave him a 5 dolor bill well knowing he would simply blow it on some kind of self induced stimulate.

Once I did so, he turned and nodded and continued beating his drum with the spoon. Eventually I got back up and made my way to my friends, whom at this point were red with furry. Smudging their pestering antidotes of reason versus moral, I walked away still curious of this man, and pondering to myself, why and how had he arrived on this corner. To this day, his sense of music has made a lasting impression, and sparked in me a respect for all beings.

2 comments:

Gabrielle Arden said...

Wow. You got all that out of some homeless guy banging on some pots and pans?

jeff_colson said...

haha i might be over exadurating a bit ;)...