Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Bring Good Music Back

Musicians these days are beginning to reach their limits. To often am I beginning to see the mirror reflection of abused thoughts and ideas, plaguing their way into the soul and heart of sound. Music is more and more becoming outdated as rappers repeat rhymes, and country singers lose their edge ultimately sounding like an emo pop group, whose only goal is to complain about what they don’t have and what they can’t get. By no means am I trying to dictate the path of music, nor am I complaining about its imperfections. I am simply addressing the issue at hand and I strongly believe that if this battery of sound, and petty squabbles continue, my desire to extend my sphere to other genres with be lost. In this note I would like to address the reason why I am sour towards today’s music.

Most recently, I had the distinct privilege of being invited to a concert which had the talents of many different music genres. Now this to me was remarkable, as I was hoping I would be able to hear all kinds of music. Instead however, my desires quickly faded after each band which had made its way to centre stage had preached on the same issues, girls, alcohol and failed prayers. This dull mixture of music began to intrigue me in a most negative way, prompting me to leave the concert with the taste of bitterness on my tongue. It was in this state that I began to reminisce on what good music was and what made me enjoy it. It took me all the way back to my first experience at a county fair. These U.S based fairs, display local and national talent at a brilliant level. It was here where my love for music began, when I heard a local band, elegantly vocalize the sounds of the “house of the rising sun”, and “cotton fields”. This to me was sound at its best, as in me it illuminated the true soul of sound. It was this which I adored and have now lost, and it is this which I hope to get back, so I urge musicians, bring good music back.